Sunday, July 02, 2006

Deconstructing Woody Allen




Personally I still like Woody Allen's movies. I did think "Deconstructing Harry" had a casualness to it in places that bothered me, a drop-the-ball feeling as to the dialogue(the 'f word' for one thing, something never used before, and feels strangely inappropriate). And though I did like the movie ultimately--the point about Harry being dysfunctional in life but his art being his redeeming functionality--I didn't get into the jagged cutting of the film.

It did give a certain edge to the film though. He did that same thing in "Stardust Memories", the scenes with - oh shit whatshername, the thin, neurotic British actress-when she's in the nuthouse.

I don't understand why he's so hated by the general public for taking up with his girlfriend's adopted daughter. Personally I don't consider that a complely reprehensible act, as she was of consenting age and there were no legal barriers. Irresponsible maybe, but then what does that have to do with me? Who am I to pass judgment here? As an entertainer, does he owe me a certain code of conduct for me to view his films?


Woody Allen's only responsibility to me, Smithton Wahling-Rumply, is to make entertaining films--and even then, only if I've paid to see it.

I must admit, though, I'm not as avid a fan as I once was. But I still do enjoy the occasional Woody Allen flick. And he did make some good ones. Particularly the earlier, funnier ones.

Just kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home